Zahir Akram IS THE MAN ON THE MAT
TRIANGLE POSE (TRIKONASANA)
A key pose in yoga, Triangle provides a great stretch for the hamstrings and the chest and the shoulders
- Stretches the hamstrings.
- Works the intricate foot muscles so you don’t end up in splits!
- Stretches the chest and shoulders.
- Works the core muscles.
- Holding your breath throughout the time spent in the pose.
- Allowing the head to drop towards the ground.
- Not using a block if your hamstrings are feeling tight.
- Assuming there is only one way to do this pose. Experiment with the pose so that Triangle accommodates your body. Not the other way around.
- Breathe! We get into a horrible habit of holding our breath when we do yoga poses. Imagine you are not posing on Instagram and suddenly you will find yourself breathing.
- Bend the front knee if the long stance is too aggressive for your hamstring. Having a bent knee doesn’t mean you can’t do the pose. It means you are listening to the instinct of your body.
First published in November 2009, OM Yoga magazine has become the most popular yoga title in the UK. Available from all major supermarkets, independents and newsstands across the UK. Also available on all digital platforms.