Smashed Chickpeas with Tomatoes
If the only things you smash are avocados, you’re going to rack up quite a hefty bill. Chickpeas are affordable and are amazing on toast because they take on whatever flavour you add. Try tossing them with chilli sauce or pesto for another variation.
- 400g (13 oz) canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 4 tablespoons tahini
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- large handful of flat leaf parsley, finely chopped, plus extra to serve
- 4 thick slices of sourdough bread
- 10 cherry tomatoes, halved salt and pepper
- Lemon wedges
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Put the chickpeas in a bowl and use a potato masher to crush them, then add the tahini and olive oil and continue to crush until you reach your desired consistency. Some brands of canned chickpeas may need to be flashed in the microwave for 10-20 seconds to soften, if they prove too hard to mash.
- Season with salt and pepper and fold in the parsley.
- Toast the bread.
- Heap the chickpea mixture on the toast and top with the tomatoes. Serve with lemon wedges, a sprinkling of paprika and parsley.