Matcha Coconut Ice Cream
Taken from the Brain Boost Diet Book, this is a really simple creamy ice cream and a delicious way to cram in anti-inflammatory matcha green tea. The addition of lemon juice helps balance the strong matcha flavour while using xylitol keeps the sugar content low.
Why it’s good for you:
Matcha Green tea is packed with protective antioxidants and contains L Theanine which can help promote focus and concentration.
- 1 400g (14oz) tin full fat coconut milk
- 2 -3 tsp matcha green tea powder to taste
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- ¼ tsp xantham gum (optional)
- 2tbsp coconut oil softened
- Simply place all the ingredients in a high speed blender and process until smooth and creamy.
- Using an ice cream maker churn the ice cream according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Either serve immediately or transfer to a freezer proof container and freeze until needed
- Alternatively you can pour the mixture into a shallow freezer proof container and freeze for 2–3 hours, stirring occasionally during freezing until set
- The Ice cream can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months. Remove from the freezer 20 minutes before serving to allow it to soften slightly.
Christine Bailey is an award winning functional nutritionist, chef and author who has over 14 health and recipe books to her name. To discover more of her recipes and buy her books visit — christinebailey.co.uk
Note: Matcha is rich in catechins, a class of plant compounds in tea that act as antioxidants which can help protect against cell damage.