Vegan Jazz Apple and Blackberry Tart
For the Shortcrust Pastry
- 220g plain flour
- 100g vegan butter
- 3-4 tbsp water
For the filling
- 4 JAZZ™ Apples - cored, peeled and cut into chunks
- 70g caster sugar
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 80g blackberries
- 2 tbsp water
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F.
- To make the pastry, sift plain flour into a large bowl, add diced vegan butter and rub in with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Then add 3-4 tbsp cold water and mix to a firm dough. Knead the dough briefly and gently.
- Wrap the dough in cling film and chill while preparing the filling.
- For the filling, put the apples in a sauce pan, add sugar, cinnamon and 2 tbsp of the water and cook over a medium-low heat for 12-15 minutes with a lid on, stirring occasionally. Then add the blackberries, stir gently and cook for another 3-4 minutes with the lid off. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, remove the pastry from the fridge. Dust the worksurface with flour, cut the pastry in half and, using a floured rolling pin, roll one of the pieces out until it’s just under 1cm thick. (Rolling the dough between two layers of greaseproof paper will also stop it sticking to your rolling pin). Butter a shallow 20cm pie dish and line with the pastry, trimming off any excess round the edges using a sharp knife.
- Spoon the cooled apples and blackberries into the lined pie dish so that you have a mound in the middle. Spoon over the juice in the pan. Roll out the second piece of pastry and lay it over the top of the pie. Trim the edges a the middle of the top and decors before and crimp them together with your fingers. Cut a cross inate the pie with the remaining pastry if you like. Brush thee with the plant-based m top of the piilk.
- Place the pie on a baking tray and bake for 50-60 minutes until golden brown and crisp.
- To serve, slice the pie into portions and serve with ice cream.