‘No beef here’ Stew
There's certainly no need for meat in this hearty and delicious vegan beef stew. The rich, thick gravy is satisfying, making this comfort food at its best.
- 120ml (generous 1 cup) water
- 1 small white onion, chopped
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 2cm chunks
- 2 parsnips, cut into 2cm chunks
- 3 stalks celery, sliced
- 200g (scant 2 cups) white mushrooms, quartered
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 750ml (3 cups + 2tbsp) gluten-free vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 tbsp gluten-free wholegrain mustard
- 1 tbsp gluten-free yeast extract
- 2 tbsp cornflour mixed with 120ml (1 cup) water
- 200g (1.5 cups) cooked peas (if frozen, rinse under warm water to defrost)
- 10g (1/3 cup) fresh parsley, chopped
Heat the water in a pan over medium-high heat. When it starts to bubble, add the onions, carrots, parsnips and celery. Cook, stirring frequently, for about 8 minutes, adding more water if needed.
Stir in the mushrooms and garlic, and cook, whilst stirring, for a further 5 minutes, adding water as needed.
Add the stock, tomato paste, and paprika, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and stir in the rosemary, thyme, mustard and yeast extract. Cover the pan with a lid and cook for 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the carrots are tender.
Add the peas and cook for 5 minutes more. Then stir in the parsley, before serving this delicious vegan beef stew, hot, with a side of mashed potato.