Ultimate Superfood Salad
A simple and popular way of incorporating the leafy green vegetable into your diet is by making a salad. It’s quick, simple and tastes great! But don’t be fooled… you can be sure this superfood salad will live up to its name.
- 100g (3.5 oz) sweet potato
- 100g (3.5 oz) quinoa
- 1 head broccoli, cut into small florets
- 1 pomegranate
- 75ml (2.5 fl oz) olive oil
- Pinch chilli flakes
- Juice of 1 lime
- 25g (0.8 oz) chopped coriander
- 1 small punnet alfalfa sprouts or mixed sprouts
- 1 ripe avocado
- 85g (3oz) watercress
- 25g (0.8 oz) mixed nuts, toasted
- Sea salt and black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6, and then chop the sweet potatoes into inch cubes with the skin on. Place into a roasting tray, season with salt and pepper, drizzle with olive oil and roast in the oven for 15-20 minutes.
- Cook the quinoa in salted boiling water according the packet instructions. Place the broccoli into a metal colander and set over the boiling quinoa. Cover and steam the broccoli for three minutes.
- Once cooked, drain and rinse the quinoa and broccoli under cold running water. Remove the sweet potato from the oven.
- Cut the pomegranate in half and squeeze the juice from one half into a large bowl. Add the olive oil, chilli flakes and lime juice, whisk together and season to taste. Add in the coriander, alfalfa, quinoa and sweet potato and toss well.
- Peel the avocado, remove the stone and roughly chop. Spread the quinoa and sweet potato mixture onto a serving plate with the watercress and dot the avocado over the top.
- Finally, bash the second half of the pomegranate with a wooden spoon to knock the seeds out and scatter these over the plate along with the toasted nuts.