Pumpkin, Lentil and Turmeric Soup
This soup is delicious, hearty and full of nutrients; perfect for any leftover Halloween pumpkin you might have.
• 1 tbsp oil
• 2 white onions, diced
• 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
• 1 tbsp ginger, finely chopped
• 1 red chilli (deseeded) and finely chopped
• 1 tsp turmeric
• 250g (7oz) split red lentils
• 700g (25oz) pumpkin or butternut squash, peeled and diced
• 1 lemon, juiced
• 1-1½L (35 fl oz) hot vegetable stock
Optional serving suggestions: fresh coriander or parsley, croutons, sprinkling nutritional yeast, grated vegan cheese, toasted seeds, finely chopped chilli, swirl of vegan cream
1. Heat the oil in a large pan. Fry the onions until softened and starting to turn golden.
2. Stir in the garlic, chilli, turmeric and ginger and fry for approximately 1 minute.
3. Add the pumpkin flesh and lentils, then pour in the hot stock. Season, cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes until the lentils and vegetables are tender.
4. Add the lemon juice towards the end and then blitz the mixture with hand blender or in a food processor until smooth.
5. Taste for seasoning.
Recipe by Maryanne Hall from Viva!’s Vegan Recipe Club, veganrecipeclub.org.uk