Pumpkin, Lentil and Turmeric Soup
This soup is delicious, hearty and full of nutrients; perfect for any leftover Halloween pumpkin you might have.
• 1 tbsp oil
• 2 white onions, diced
• 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
• 1 tbsp ginger, finely chopped
• 1 red chilli (deseeded) and finely chopped
• 1 tsp turmeric
• 250g (7oz) split red lentils
• 700g (25oz) pumpkin or butternut squash, peeled and diced
• 1 lemon, juiced
• 1-1½L (35 fl oz) hot vegetable stock
Optional serving suggestions: fresh coriander or parsley, croutons, sprinkling nutritional yeast, grated vegan cheese, toasted seeds, finely chopped chilli, swirl of vegan cream
1. Heat the oil in a large pan. Fry the onions until softened and starting to turn golden.
2. Stir in the garlic, chilli, turmeric and ginger and fry for approximately 1 minute.
3. Add the pumpkin flesh and lentils, then pour in the hot stock. Season, cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes until the lentils and vegetables are tender.
4. Add the lemon juice towards the end and then blitz the mixture with hand blender or in a food processor until smooth.
5. Taste for seasoning.
Recipe by Maryanne Hall from Viva!’s Vegan Recipe Club, veganrecipeclub.org.uk
First published in November 2009, OM Yoga magazine has become the most popular yoga title in the UK. Available from all major supermarkets, independents and newsstands across the UK. Also available on all digital platforms.