Post-workout power meals
Unlock the power of post-workout meals: exclusive veggie and vegan recipes to enhance physique and health from The Kitchen Community
Some yoga sessions can be blissfully soothing...but some can be tough! A well-balanced post-workout meal containing a combination of carbohydrates, proteins, and healthy fats can optimise muscle recovery, promote muscle growth, and prevent muscle breakdown. And you'll have deserved every mouthful!
A study by The Kitchen Community emphasises the importance of consuming meals with a proper balance of nutrients within 30-45 minutes after exercise to maximise the benefits.
To help fitness enthusiasts harness the power of post-workout nutrition, it has created three exclusive recipes, tailored to address fitness goals and health requirements. The recipes include a range of nutrient-rich ingredients, such as lean proteins, complex carbohydrates, and healthy fats, to ensure a balanced and delicious meal.
“In today's fast-paced world, it’s crucial for yoga and all fitness enthusiasts to fuel their bodies with the right nutrients after a strenuous workout,” said Cassie Marshall, founder of The Kitchen Community. “That’s why we have crafted these exclusive, nutrient-rich recipes that are perfect for optimising recovery and physique enhancement.”
Power-Up Quinoa Salad
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 cup chopped kale
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ cup diced cucumber
- ½ cup chopped red onion
- ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tbsp chopped walnuts
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, combine quinoa, kale, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, and red onion.
- In a small bowl, whisk together lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and mix well.
- Top with crumbled feta cheese and chopped walnuts.
This high-protein, fibre-rich meal is perfect for promoting muscle recovery and boosting metabolism. Quinoa provides a complete source of plant-based protein, while kale offers essential vitamins and minerals. The healthy fats from walnuts and olive oil help with nutrient absorption, and feta cheese adds a delicious flavour boost.
Muscle-Building Greek Yoghurt Parfait
- 1 cup non-fat Greek yoghurt
- ½ cup fresh mixed berries (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries)
- ¼ cup granola
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- In a glass or bowl, layer half of the Greek yoghurt.
- Add half of the mixed berries and half of the granola.
- Layer the remaining yoghurt, followed by the remaining berries and granola.
- Drizzle honey over the top and sprinkle with chia seeds.
This high-protein, low-fat meal is deal for supporting muscle growth and recovery. Greek yoghurt is packed with essential amino acids and antioxidants, while the mixed berries provide essential vitamins and minerals. Granola offers a crunchy texture and a source of complex carbohydrates, and chia seeds add extra protein, fibre, and omega-3 fatty acids.
Energising Sweet Potato & Black Bean Bowl
- 1 medium sweet potato, diced and roasted
- 1 cup cooked black beans
- ½ cup cooked brown rice
- ½ cup chopped red bell pepper
- ¼ cup diced red onion
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- ½ avocado, sliced
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a bowl, combine roasted sweet potato, black beans, brown rice, red bell pepper, and red onion.
- Drizzle lime juice over the top and season with salt and pepper.
- Gently mix the ingredients together.
- Top with sliced avocado and chopped cilantro.
This meal features a perfect blend of complex carbohydrates and plant-based protein to replenish energy stores and support muscle repair. Sweet potatoes are rich in beta-carotene and fibre, while black beans provide protein and essential amino acids. Brown rice and avocado add extra nutrients and healthy fats to the dish.