For the salad:
• 100g (3.5 oz) couscous
• 1 tin chickpeas (about 240g/8.4 oz drained weight)
• 10 radishes
• ¼ bunch fresh chives
• 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
• 2 tbsp olive oil
• 1 tbsp medium-strength mustard
• 1 tsp maple syrup
• 2 tbsp pesto sauce
• 2 tsp black sesame seeds
1. To prepare the couscous, bring 200 ml of salted water to the boil in a saucepan. Put the couscous into a heat resistant bowl and pour in the boiling water. Allow the couscous to swell for 5-10 minutes and then keep warm.
2. Drain the chickpeas from the tin. Rinse, drain and put them into a bowl. Trim and wash the radishes and finely slice with a mandoline. Wash the chives, pat dry and finely chop with a sharp knife. To make the dressing, whisk the remaining ingredients together with a pinch each of salt and pepper, and 3 tablespoons of water.
3. Combine the couscous, chickpeas and radish slices in a large bowl, mix well and divide into two small bowls. Make small dots of pesto sauce over the salad and sprinkle with chives and black sesame seeds. Drizzle with the dressing before serving.
Recipe from Vegan Buddha Bowls by Jessica Lerchenmüller. Grub Street Publishing.
You can replace the radishes with sliced carrots or cucumbers, and a handful of nuts roasted with salt and pepper to provide extra crunch.