Mediterranean Chickpea Salad
SERVES 4-6 AS A SIDE OR LIGHT LUNCH
This super simple, vibrant salad is easy to throw together in minutes. Protein packed chickpeas, bright, crunchy veggies and a zingy dressing make the perfect combination for lunchboxes, al fresco suppers or as part of a buffet spread.
- 1 x 400g (14.1 oz) tin chickpeas, drained
- 3 stalks celery, trimmed and chopped
- 1 large red onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 1 courgette, finely chopped
- 1 small bunch parsley, roughly chopped
- 1 small bunch dill, roughly chopped
- 150g (5.2 oz) olives (we used green olives stuffed with garlic)
- Lemon wedges, to serve
For the dressing
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
- 120ml (4 fl oz) extra virgin olive oil
- 60ml (2 fl oz) red wine vinegar
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp sea salt flakes
- Black pepper, to taste
- Mix together all the dressing ingredients in a bowl and whisk until slightly thickened.
- Add the chickpeas, prepared vegetables and herbs to a large bowl and toss together.
- When ready to serve, pour over the dressing and mix everything together well. Transfer to a serving bowl or platter and garnish with lemon wedges to squeeze over.
This salad can be made up to a day in advance and chilled until ready to serve. Add the dressing just before serving to prevent the salad wilting.