Leek and Garlic Twist Bread
The perfect weekend bake, this Leek and Garlic Twist Bread combines two tasty flavours, and is sure to be a hit with everyone!
For the dough
- 400g (14.1 oz) plain flour
- Fast action yeast
- 210ml (7.1 fl oz) oat milk at room temperature
- 60ml (2 fl oz) olive oil
For the filling
- 60g (2.1 oz) vegan butter (or margarine)
- 1 large leek
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- Pinch salt
- Add the warm milk, sugar and yeast into a bowl and leave for around 5 minutes to froth.
- Add the flour and salt to a large mixing bowl, then once the milk and yeast have reacted, pour those into the mixing bowl with the olive oil and bring together with a spoon or your hands.
- Move to a floured work surface and knead by hand for 10 minutes. You can also add the dough to a machine and knead for the same amount of time.
- Clean out the mixing bowl, add a few drops of olive oil, place the kneaded dough within the bowl, cover and leave in a warm place for around 1 ½ hours.
- Prepare the filling by finely chopping the leek then beating into the butter. Add the salt, pepper, parsley and garlic powder and mix until combined, then leave aside.
- After the dough has risen, knock it back and place on a floured surface. Roll the dough out into a rectangle shape around 2-3cm thick.
- Spread the leek filling onto the surface of the dough leaving just a thin border.
- Roll the dough up lengthways, to make a long sausage shape, then using a sharp knife carefully slice down the middle (also lengthways) to it should leave you with two long strands.
- Overlap the two strands, keeping the exposed filling facing towards you (this will help the butter ooze out and bake) then place in a large loaf tin, cover with a tea towel and leave to rise for a further 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas 5, place the risen dough in for 25 minutes, then cover with baking foil and bake for a further 20-25 minutes.
- Allow to cool and enjoy!
First published in November 2009, OM Yoga magazine has become the most popular yoga title in the UK. Available from all major supermarkets, independents and newsstands across the UK. Also available on all digital platforms.