Kale, Jazz Apple & Cashew Cheese Salad
If you are not a big fan of kale this cheesy salad will definitely change your mind. We have included the recipe on how to make vegan cashew cheese from scratch but if you are short of time please feel free to use whatever cheese you prefer! We absolutely love the contrast between the hearty kale, sweet Jazz apple and the creamy cashew cheese!
- 1 JAZZ™apples
- 2-3 cups of de-stemmed kale -roughly chopped
- 3/4 cup of cooked buckwheat (you can also use quinoa)
- 1 pomegranate
- 1 courgette- cut into slices
- A handful of walnuts
For the Cashew Cheese
- 2 1/2 cups of cashews which have been soaked overnight
- 1/4 cup of water
- 2 tbsp of nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon of miso paste
- 2 tbsp of lemon juice
- Powder from 2 capsules of probiotics
- 1 tsp of onion powder
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1 tbsp of fresh chopped dill
For the Dressing
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon of maple syrup
- A pinch of sea salt and black pepper
- To make the cashew cheese drain the cashews and place them in a food processor, add the water, nutritional yeast, miso paste, lemon juice, probiotics, onion and salt. Start blitzing and stop the food processor from time to time to scrape the sides. Keep blitzing until you have a smooth and creamy consistency.
- Pour the cheese mixture into a double cheese cloth. Tie the cloth at the top around a wooden spoon or something similar that will keep it suspended from a deep mixing bowl. Cover it with a tea towel and leave it in a warm and dark place (I put mine on top of the fridge) for 16 hours.
- Transfer the cashew cheese into the fridge and leave it for another 24 hours. The longer you leave it, the more it will have a “cheesy flavour”.
- To make the salad start by mixing together the dressing ingredients. Pour the dressing over the chopped kale and with your hands massage the leaves until they start to wilt and soften. Leave it to one side.
- Grill and cook the sliced courgette onto the barbecue for few minutes each side. Add the grilled courgette to the kale together with the chopped apple, cooked buckwheat and pomegranate seeds. Mix everything together. Top with the chopped walnuts and dollop of the cashew cheese. Enjoy straight away!