Gambian Peanut Stew (Domoda)
SERVES 4 - Peanut butter, tomato, chilli and pumpkin create a deliciously hearty blend with a nice bit of heat – yum!
• 1 large onion, finely diced
• 2 red or green chillies, finely sliced
• 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
• ½-1 tsp chilli powder (depending on how much heat you like)
• 6 large tomatoes, roughly chopped (or 1 tin chopped tomatoes)
• 200g smooth peanut butter
• 3 tbsp tomato purée
• 800g pumpkin, sweet potato or butternut squash, peeled and cut into bite-sized chunks
• 800ml vegan stock
• 2 tsp ground cumin (optional)
• Juice of half a lemon
• Oil, for frying
Optional: decorate the curry with crushed peanuts and fresh chilli peppers (remove the seeds for less heat or fry first). Serve with rice and steamed or roast vegetables.
1. Fry the onion and the fresh chilli until the onion is soft and golden.
2. Add the garlic and chilli powder and fry for a further 1-2 minutes.
3. Stir in the tomatoes, peanut butter, tomato purée and pumpkin (or sweet potato or butternut squash), before adding the stock and cumin if using.
4. Bring to the boil and then simmer for 35-45 minutes until reduced and thickened and the sweet potato is soft.
5. Add the lemon juice, stir through and adjust seasoning if necessary.
Recipe by Maryanne Hall from Viva!’s Vegan Recipe Club, veganrecipeclub.org.uk