FREE your toes
Open your mind and free your toes… exploring the benefits of toe-separated socks
Although most of us will experience some sort of foot discomfort or issue at some stage in our lives, we generally tend to leave it unattended and may eventually even forget about it. Human nature!
As yogis, we believe everything in our body is connected. Looking at the design structure of the human foot, there is nothing fixed; on the contrary, everything is able to move and adjust to any situation it may encounter. When the elements of the foot (bones, muscles, ligaments and tendons) create a continuous movement pattern, this makes the movement at the next joint up easier. If the next one works well, the one after works easier, and so on.
Our body can learn anything we may offer or throw at it — but it cannot make a judgement or correct itself on its own. Have you ever thought about giving it — or, more specifically, your feet — a helping hand with some special toe-separated yoga socks?
With these socks, what we offer is good for the anatomical features of the foot and for the rest of the body through the spiralling connectivity. There are two main types of benefit for yoga users: hygiene and movement.
All three factors of bacterial growth — heat, moisture and dirt/skin flakes — are dramatically reduced by the separation of the toes as they are covered by a thin fabric. This means that bacteria cannot multiply as easily. The smaller in number they are, the less effective they become, hence feet stay relatively dry and smell-free. With TOETOE socks, daily hygiene maintenance of your fabulous feet becomes a walk in the park…even when you step into the studio!
With toe-separated socks, we create a new message flowing between our feet and brain registering that the toes are free to move. We become more aware of our toes — something TOETOE calls ‘Enhanced Proprioception Technology’. As a result, the structural movement pattern in our feet shifts.
The more we wear the socks the more we become accustomed to them. As such, a more mobile foot structure becomes a proactive and preventative contributor to various health aspects of the foot. Here are some of the benefits you may feel from wearing toe-separated socks:
• Balance: When you are aware of your toes your feet will function properly; your toes are free to move, so you are able to balance yourself better.
• Optimum warmth: When toes move, the blood inside also moves. This keeps your feet at the right temperature – not too hot, not too cold.
• Toe exercise: If your toes move regularly, they will stay in their natural shape. If you keep them rigid, they will curve and overlap.
• Better hygiene: With ordinary socks, dirt and moisture pile up between your toes – that’s why feet sometimes smell. Toe-separated socks can help to solve this problem.
• Free movement: Flexible toes communicate better with the body to encourage good posture. It’s as though you’re wearing socks whilst feeling barefoot! It opens the way towards better-exercised, healthier, active, controlled, yet liberated toes. Open your mind and free your toes!
• Blister prevention: Toe-separated socks stop your toes rubbing together when you walk, run, jog, play sport or workout. This can help stop your feet from getting blisters. Many people who try toe-separated socks never go back to ordinary socks!