Breaded Chickpea and Vegetable Fingers
These crispy fingers make a healthier alternative to nuggets for kids’ dinners. To make them even healthier, try baking them instead of frying.
- 1 400g (14.1 oz) tin chickpeas, drained
- 1 red pepper, finely diced
- 50g (2oz) sweetcorn
- 50g (2oz) peas
- 4 tbsp gram flour
- 120ml (4 fl oz) water
- 100g (3.5 oz) plain flour
- 100g (3.5 oz) breadcrumbs
- Oil for frying
- Add the chickpeas, pepper, sweetcorn, peas and gram flour to a bowl and mash together with a fork until all combined, season to taste. Shape the mixture into 10 fingers and place in the fridge to chill.
- Whisk together the water and plain flour to make a batter. Dip the fingers into the batter, then into the breadcrumbs, ensuring they are fully coated.
- Heat the oil in a pan over a medium-high heat, and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side until they are golden and cooked through.