Vegan British Tomato Shakshuka
Perfect for breakfast or brunch, this British tomato shakshuka tastes fantastic with crusty bread to mop up all the delicious juices
- 500g (17.6 oz) British medium vine tomatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 red peppers, deseeded and sliced
- 1 yellow pepper, deseeded and sliced
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp mild chilli powder
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley, plus extra to garnish
- 150g (5.2 oz) non-dairy yogurt
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Crusty bread, to serve
- Halve the British tomatoes and set to one side.
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan that has a lid. Gently fry the onions, garlic and peppers in the covered pan for about 10 minutes, or until very soft.
- Add the cumin seeds, chilli powder, tomato purée and parsley, stirring well. Season. Add the tomatoes and cook over a medium heat for about 8-10 minutes, uncovered, adding a splash of water if it begins to look too dry.
- To serve, sprinkle with extra parsley and season with a little extra black pepper. Put the yogurt into a bowl and sprinkle with a little chilli powder. Serve alongside the tomato Shakshuka with crusty bread.
This is great as a sharing dish, where everyone just eats straight from the pan!