CAMEL POSE (USTRASANA)
• Camel pose has many benefits:
• It increases flexibility in the spine, opens the chest and shoulders, improving posture.
• Opens up the hip flexors, which can help provide relief from lower back pain.
• Strengthens thighs, hips, glutes, and back muscles.
• Relieves tension in neck, back, and shoulders.
• Can help reduce fatigue, anxiety and stress.
• Improves circulation and digestion and increases lung capacity.
• Hip misalignment: Make sure your knees are spaced properly before going into the pose, the hips should be directly above the knees.
• Collapsing the lower back: It’s easy to collapse into the lower back, which can cause pain. To avoid this, start with a straight back and erect spine, broaden the shoulders and then arch down.
• Focus your attention on the sternum and lead from there while bending backwards, avoid starting the arch with your lower back.
• If you can’t reach your heels yet with your hands, start by keeping your hands on your hips or lower back while bending backwards.
• You can also place a blanket or cushion below your knees to ease your way into the pose.
• To avoid flopping or falling into the pose, lift and lengthen your torso before you gently arch into the pose.
• Keep some length and space along the back of the neck and the lower back.
• Be gentle and patient with yourself, go slow and don’t push.
• The breath is important in this pose. Focus on the sternum and heart chakra and inhale when arching back, continue to breathe normally during the backbend and exhale coming out of the pose.