Pair this hearty dinner with a side of vegetables for a perfect autumn meal.
• 1 tbsp olive oil
• 1 onion, finely diced
• 2 carrots, finely diced
• 3 cloves garlic, puréed
• 1 tbsp mixed herbs
• 2 tbsp tomato purée
• 60ml (2 fl oz) red wine
• 200g (7oz) red lentils
• 2 x 400g (14oz) tin chopped tomatoes
• 360ml (12 fl oz) vegetable stock
• 9 lasagne sheets
• 50g (2oz) dairy-free butter
• 50g (2oz) plain flour
• 480ml (16.2 fl oz) soya milk
• 80g (3oz) vegan cheese, grated
1. Heat the oil in a saucepan over a medium heat, and cook the onions, carrots, garlic and mixed herbs and for 3-4 minutes. Add the tomato purée, red wine, lentils, chopped tomatoes and stock and mix together. Cook for 25-30 minutes until the mixture is thick and the lentils are cooked, season to taste.
2. Preheat the oven to 180°C/355°F/Gas 4. Into an oven dish layer a third of the lentil mixture, followed by 3 lasagne sheets. Repeat until you have used the remainder of the lentils and lasagne sheets.
3. Add the butter to a saucepan over a medium heat, and allow it to melt. Add the flour and mix well to form a roux, then slowly add the milk whilst stirring to ensure no lumps and cook until the sauce is thick and smooth. Pour this over the lasagne and spread evenly, top with the cheese and place into the oven for 35-40 minutes until cooked through.