This hearty dish is more of a stew than a soup, combining all the classic flavours of lasagne. Serve sprinkled with some plantbased parmesan and extra basil leaves.
For the soup:
- 2 onions, peeled and sliced
- 2 carrots, peeled and finely diced
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 400g (14.1 oz) tins chopped tomatoes
- 720ml (1.2 pints) water
- 400g (14.1 oz) tin cooked lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1 courgette, trimmed and diced
- 1 tbsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp dried Italian herbs
- 1 tbsp sugar (optional)
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp chilli flakes (optional)
- 200g (7oz) pasta
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Fresh basil, to serve
For the almond ricotta:
- 225g (7.9 oz) flaked almonds
- 2 tbsp cold water
- 1 tsp sea salt flakes
- 1 tsp lactic acid powder or lemon juice
- Place all the ingredients for the soup, except the fresh basil, into a slow cooker and cook on high for 4-5 hours.
- To make the almond ricotta, pulse all the ingredients in a high speed blender until fairly smooth. Chill until needed.
- Season the soup to taste and serve hot, ladled into bowls with a spoonful of almond ricotta and some fresh basil sprinkled over.