Jerusalem Artichoke Soup with Sautéed Chestnut Mushroom Crumb
This soup has a naturally creamy and smooth texture thanks to the Jerusalem artichoke and potato, while the garlicky mushroom crumb adds a depth of flavour and a little crunch.
Ingredients for the soup
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 white onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, pureed
- 400g (14oz) Jerusalem artichokes, peeled and chopped
- 400g (14oz) potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1.2l (2.1 pints) vegetable stock
Ingredients for the mushroom crumb
- 1 tbsp dairy-free butter
- 1 clove garlic, puréed
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 200g (7oz) chestnut mushrooms, chopped
- 90g (3.1 oz) fresh breadcrumbs, toasted
- Handful parsley, chopped
- To make the soup, add the oil to a pan over a medium-high heat. Then add the onion and garlic, and sauté for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the Jerusalem artichokes and potato to the pan and cook for a further 2-3 minutes, before adding the vegetable stock. Leave to simmer for 1 hour.
- Once simmered, purée the soup with a stick blender until smooth, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- For the mushroom crumb, in a frying pan over a medium heat add the butter, garlic, thyme and mushrooms. Fry until the mushrooms are golden and cooked through.
- Stir the toasted breadcrumbs into the mushrooms and cook for a further 1-2 minutes. Then remove from the heat and stir through the parsley. To serve, sprinkle the mushroom crumb over a bowl of the warm soup.
First published in November 2009, OM Yoga magazine has become the most popular yoga title in the UK. Available from all major supermarkets, independents and newsstands across the UK. Also available on all digital platforms.