Jerusalem Artichoke Soup with Sautéed Chestnut Mushroom Crumb
This soup has a naturally creamy and smooth texture thanks to the Jerusalem artichoke and potato, while the garlicky mushroom crumb adds a depth of flavour and a little crunch.
Ingredients for the soup
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 white onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, pureed
- 400g (14oz) Jerusalem artichokes, peeled and chopped
- 400g (14oz) potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1.2l (2.1 pints) vegetable stock
Ingredients for the mushroom crumb
- 1 tbsp dairy-free butter
- 1 clove garlic, puréed
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 200g (7oz) chestnut mushrooms, chopped
- 90g (3.1 oz) fresh breadcrumbs, toasted
- Handful parsley, chopped
- To make the soup, add the oil to a pan over a medium-high heat. Then add the onion and garlic, and sauté for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the Jerusalem artichokes and potato to the pan and cook for a further 2-3 minutes, before adding the vegetable stock. Leave to simmer for 1 hour.
- Once simmered, purée the soup with a stick blender until smooth, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- For the mushroom crumb, in a frying pan over a medium heat add the butter, garlic, thyme and mushrooms. Fry until the mushrooms are golden and cooked through.
- Stir the toasted breadcrumbs into the mushrooms and cook for a further 1-2 minutes. Then remove from the heat and stir through the parsley. To serve, sprinkle the mushroom crumb over a bowl of the warm soup.