Greek Salad with Tofu Halloumi
Even if you don’t manage to jet off to Greece this summer, you can always indulge in its cuisine at home
For the salad:
- 1 medium cucumber, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and diced
- 4 large tomatoes, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 180g (6.3 oz) pitted black olives, drained
For the dressing:
- 60ml (2 fl oz) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large lemon, juice only (reserve zest for tofu)
- 1 tsp fresh oregano leaves
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
For the tofu:
- 600g (21oz) extra firm tofu, drained, pressed and sliced
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp sea salt flakes
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 2 tsp fresh oregano leaves
- To make the tofu, mix all the ingredients together and set aside to marinate.
- In a small bowl, add all the dressing ingredients and mix well. Check the seasoning, adjust if necessary and set aside.
- Prepare the salad ingredients and place them in a large, wide bowl.
- When ready to serve, heat a griddle pan to high. Add the tofu slices in a single layer, working in batches if necessary. Place a second pan on top of the tofu so that you create char marks on the underside of the tofu with the griddle. Turn the slices over after a few minutes and repeat on the other side.
- When ready to serve, whisk the dressing again and drizzle over the salad. Top with the tofu slices and serve immediately, with crusty bread to mop up the dressing.
If you need to get ahead, the un-dressed salad, the dressing and the marinated tofu keep well in the fridge, covered, for up to 24 hours. You can serve the griddled tofu warm or cold.