French Toast with Poached Strawberries
French toast is classically made with eggs and milk, but this combination of soya milk and gram flour makes a great substitute. Enjoy this dish as a delicious breakfast or brunch.
MAKES 6-8 SLICES
For the poached strawberries:
- 120ml (4 fl oz) water
- 115g (4oz) caster sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 400g (14oz) strawberries, halved
For the French toast:
- 240ml (8.1 fl oz) soya milk
- 50g (1.7 oz) gram flour
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- 6-8 slices of bread, depending on size
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, for frying
- Add the water, sugar, vanilla and cinnamon to a small saucepan and bring to the boil. Once boiling, remove from the heat and add the strawberries, making sure they are fully submerged, then leave to cool down.
- To make the French toast, whisk together the soya milk, gram flour, maple, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg. Pour this into a shallow tray, then lay the bread in the batter and leave for one minute, before flipping over for another minute to allow the bread to absorb the mixture.
- Heat the coconut oil in a frying pan over a medium heat, then add the bread and fry for 2-3 minutes on each side until golden and the batter is cooked through. Top the French toast with the poached strawberries. Drizzle with the poaching syrup to serve.
Mauris vitae ultricies leo integer. Mauris pellentesque pulvinar pellentesque habitant. Egestas dui id ornare arcu odio ut sem. Volutpat commodo sed egestas egestas fringilla phasellus faucibus scelerisque.