A traditional Christmas class. This delicate sponge, with rich frosting, makes this dessert as delicious to eat as it is pretty to look at.
For the sponge:
- 180g (1½ cups) plain flour
- 180g (1½ cups) caster sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 tsp tapioca flour
- 3 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 50g (¼ cup) dairy-free butter
- 2 tbsp VeganEgg, made up with 3 tbsp water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 200ml (7/8 cup) soya milk
For the filling:
- 100g (scant ½ cup) dairy-free butter
- 150g (11/3 cup) icing sugar, sieved
- ½ tsp powdered vanilla
For the frosting:
- 150g (1¼ cups) dairy-free dark chocolate
- 90g ( generous 1/3 cup) butter
- 160ml (½ cup plus 3 tbsp) condensed coconut milk
- Preheat the oven to 245°C/475°F/Gas 9, and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Mix together the dry ingredients in a medium sized mixing bowl.
- Melt the dairy-free spread and add that, with the soya milk, VeganEgg mix and vanilla extract to the dry ingredients; mix with an electric whisk.
- Spread the batter thinly and evenly over the parchment paper on the baking tray. Bake in the oven for 6-8 minutes – keep an eye on it and be careful not to overcook.
- Meanwhile, have ready a large silicone sheet or tea towel and another sheet of baking paper. Take the cake out of the oven and cover with the baking paper and silicon sheet or tea towel then carefully invert onto your work surface.
- Carefully lift one end of the top sheet of baking paper (the one the cake was cooked on) and score a line across the cake, then replace the paper. This little bend will help with rolling the cake.
- Now roll up the cake, together with the all the baking paper and tea towel/silicone sheet. Allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Make the buttercream by mixing together all the ingredients with an electric beater. Set aside in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Carefully unroll your cake and remove the inner piece of baking paper and leave to cool again. Once the cake has cooled completely, spread the buttercream evenly across the cake (make sure you spread it all the way out to the edges).
- Now, without the paper, carefully roll the cake into a log. Then wrap it in cling film and set it in the fridge to chill.
- Make the frosting by melting together all the ingredients in a small pan over a low heat, stirring until well combined, smooth and glossy. Remove from the heat and leave to cool completely.
- When the cake and frosting are both cool, spread the frosting over the cake and use a fork to make lines throughout the frosting, creating a log effect. Chill until ready to serve.
OM tip: Before serving dust with a little icing sugar to create a seasonal, snowy effect.