Apple and Date Pot Pies
MAKES 3-4 PIES. Warming, comforting apple and sticky date pot pies. Delicious, and they can be whipped up in 35 minutes! The bottom layer of gooey, warm, spiced apples is topped with a little cheat – shop-bought vegan puff pastry which puffs up in the oven in just 12–14 minutes. Pure comfort!
- 1 sheet vegan puff pastry
- Sunflower oil, for greasing
- Sprinkle of caster sugar
- Vegan ice cream or plantbased Greek-style yoghurt, to serve
For the filling
- 2 tbsp unsalted vegan butter
- 4 apples, peeled, cored and cut into 2cm cubes
- 4 tbsp light soft brown sugar
- 2 tbsp plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 200ml (6.7 fl oz) water
- 4 Medjool dates, pitted and finely chopped
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/425°F/Gas 7.
- Add all the filling ingredients to a saucepan and stir to combine. Cover and simmer on a medium heat for 7-8 minutes or until the apples are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Roll out the puff pastry on a lightly floured surface and cut out 3-4 circles the same size as your individual pot tops.
- Divide the filling between the ovenproof pots. Place the pastry lids on top and pinch in the sides to close. Rub a little oil on top and sprinkle with caster sugar. Pierce the lids a couple of times and bake for 12-14 minutes until the pastry has puffed up and is golden on top.
- Delicious served with vegan ice cream or plant-based Greek-style yoghurt.
All recipes extracted from Rainbow Bowls by Niki Webster (Pop Press, £12.99). Photography by Niki Webster.
First published in November 2009, OM Yoga magazine has become the most popular yoga title in the UK. Available from all major supermarkets, independents and newsstands across the UK. Also available on all digital platforms.