Apple and Date Pot Pies
- 1 sheet vegan puff pastry
- Sunflower oil, for greasing
- Sprinkle of caster sugar
- Vegan ice cream or plantbased Greek-style yoghurt, to serve
For the filling
- 2 tbsp unsalted vegan butter
- 4 apples, peeled, cored and cut into 2cm cubes
- 4 tbsp light soft brown sugar
- 2 tbsp plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 200ml (6.7 fl oz) water
- 4 Medjool dates, pitted and finely chopped
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/425°F/Gas 7.
- Add all the filling ingredients to a saucepan and stir to combine. Cover and simmer on a medium heat for 7-8 minutes or until the apples are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Roll out the puff pastry on a lightly floured surface and cut out 3-4 circles the same size as your individual pot tops.
- Divide the filling between the ovenproof pots. Place the pastry lids on top and pinch in the sides to close. Rub a little oil on top and sprinkle with caster sugar. Pierce the lids a couple of times and bake for 12-14 minutes until the pastry has puffed up and is golden on top.
- Delicious served with vegan ice cream or plant-based Greek-style yoghurt.
All recipes extracted from Rainbow Bowls by Niki Webster (Pop Press, £12.99). Photography by Niki Webster.