The Benefits of Strength Training
Unlocking the Potential: The Multifaceted Benefits of Strength Training - By Rita Hurry
Reading time: 4 minutes
Strength training offers a wide range of benefits for individuals of all ages and fitness levels. Here are some of the key advantages:
1. Increased Muscle Mass: Strength training stimulates muscle growth, leading to an increase in muscle size and strength. This is important for tasks that require physical exertion and can also help improve overall physical appearance. It is also of huge benefit when it comes to the daily chores, including grocery shopping and carrying those bags of shopping.
2. Improved Metabolism: Muscle tissue is more metabolically active than fat tissue, which means that having more muscle can increase your resting metabolic rate. This can aid in weight management and help with long-term fat loss. When you complete a strength training workout, your body continues to burn calories for the next 24 hours.
3. Enhanced Bone Health: Resistance training places stress on bones, which can stimulate the production of bone-forming cells and increase bone density. This is particularly important for preventing osteoporosis and reducing the risk of fractures, especially in older adults.
4. Better Body Composition: Strength training can help reduce body fat percentage while increasing lean muscle mass. This leads to a healthier body composition, which is associated with a lower risk of various health issues.
5. Improved Joint Health: Strength training can help improve joint health by promoting stability and increasing the strength of the muscles around the joints. This can be especially beneficial for individuals with conditions like arthritis.
6. Enhanced Functional Abilities: Strength training exercises often mimic real-life movements, helping to improve functional fitness. This can lead to better performance in activities of daily living, sports, and other physical pursuits.
7. Increased Metabolic Health: Strength training can improve insulin sensitivity, blood sugar control, and cholesterol levels. It has been shown to be effective in managing conditions like type 2 diabetes.
8. Enhanced Mental Health: Regular strength training has been associated with improved mood, reduced symptoms of depression and anxiety, and enhanced cognitive function. It can also boost self-esteem and body image. It is great for stress releasing as it helps you focus on your body and the weight you are lifting, instead of any problems that may be distracting you. Changing your focus is a huge benefit to solving problems.
9. Reduced Risk of Chronic Diseases: Strength training has been linked to a reduced risk of chronic conditions such as heart disease, hypertension, and certain types of cancer. It can also aid in the management of existing health conditions.
10. Improved Posture and Balance: Strengthening the core and muscles that support the spine can help improve posture and balance. This is crucial for preventing injuries and maintaining proper alignment.
11. Injury Prevention: Strengthening muscles and connective tissues can help stabilize joints and protect against injuries, especially in areas like the knees, shoulders, and lower back.
12. Longevity: Research suggests that regular strength training is associated with a longer lifespan. It may help reduce the risk of premature death from various causes.
It's important to note that strength training should be done with proper form and technique to minimise the risk of injury. It's advisable to start with a weight that allows for controlled movements and gradually progress as strength improves. Additionally, consulting with a fitness professional or healthcare provider before starting a new strength training program is recommended, especially for individuals with existing health conditions or concerns.
Also, make sure you incorporate yoga, Pilates or some form of recovery stretch workout into your week when doing a strength training programme. It is important to stretch out the muscles. This will help you to relieve any tightness in the muscles and soreness as a result of strength training. Investing in a Foam Roller will also help keep the muscles in tip top condition.