This warming and hearty soup is jam-packed with nutrients. Whip up a batch at the start of the week to have on hand whenever you need a speedy meal.
• 1 large red pepper
• 1 tbsp olive oil
• 2 onions, peeled and chopped
• 6 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
• 1 large sweet potato, peeled and finely diced
• 2 large carrots, peeled and finely diced
• 200g (1 cup) dried red lentils
• 400g tin chopped tomatoes
• 920ml (4 cups) water
• 1 vegetable stock cube
• 1 tsp chilli flakes, or to taste
• 2 tsp dried Italian herbs
• 2 bay leaves
• 2 tsp sugar
• (3 cups) kale, trimmed
• Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Preheat grill to medium. Halve the red pepper and remove the seeds. Place under the grill, skin side up and cook until the flesh is soft and the skin blistered and blackened. Remove from the grill and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large pan and add the onions with a pinch of salt. Cook until beginning to soften before adding the garlic, sweet potato and carrots. Continue to cook, stirring, for a few more minutes.
- Peel the blackened skin from the pepper, and roughly chop the flesh before adding it to the pan. Add the remaining ingredients, except the kale, to the pan and mix to combine. Bring to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes, or until the lentils and carrots are tender.
- Add the kale to the pan and add a little extra water if a thinner soup is preferred. Cook for
- Taste to check the seasoning and adjust if necessary. Serve hot, with crusty bread for dipping.