Lebanese-style lamb flatbreads with minty yoghurt
For the Flatbreads
- 140g strong white bread
- flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1 tsp fast-action dried yeast
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 1 tsp table salt
- 80ml lukewarm water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Plant based butter, softened, for brushing
For the Lamb Topping
- 300g tempeh
- 1 Onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- Splash of olive oil
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 2 tbsp mint jelly
- 1 lemon
- Sea Salt
For the mint yoghurt
- a few fresh mint leaves
- 150g plain plant-based yoghurt
- 1 tbsp mint jelly
- 1 Lemon
- Sea salt
- handful of fresh mint leaves
- handful of pomegranate seeds
- 1 tbsp toasted pine nuts
- pinch of dried chilli flakes
- black pepper
BOSH! Meat: Over 100 Outrageously tasty recipes by Henry Firth and Ian Theasby (HQ, HarperCollins). RRP £22.00.
Make the Flatbread dough
- In a large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients (the flour, yeast, sugar, baking powder, mixed herbs and salt) until there are no lumps.
- Pour in the lukewarm water and olive oil and bring the mixture together to form a dough ball. (ensuring you incorporate every part of the mixture)
- Place the dough ball on a lightly floured surface and knead for 6-10 minutes until the ball bounces back when pressed.
- Place the ball back in the bowl, cover and leave somewhere warm for at least 30 minutes.
Make the Lamb Topping
- Crumble the tempeh into small pieces using your hands.
- Peel and dice the onion and garlic.
- Place a large saucepan over a medium heat and add the olive oil.
- Add the diced onion, garlic and a pinch of salt.
- Mix well and cook for 5-10 minutes until the onion begins to soften.
- At this point, add the spices and crumbled tempeh with a dash of water
- Mix well and cook for 5 minutes, then stir through the mint jelly.
- Halve the lemon and squeeze in some lemon juice, catching any pips in your free hand.
- Reduce the heat to low and cook for 10 minutes.
Make the Mint Yoghurt
- Thinly slice the mint leaves
- Put the yoghurt in a small bowl and mix through the mint jelly, sliced mint leaves and a pinch of salt.
- Halve the lemon and squeeze in some juice, catching any pips in your free hand.
- Spoon into a small serving bowl.
Cook the Flatbread
- Place 2 large flat pans over a medium heat.
- Take the flatbread mixture from the bowl and halve it.
- Place each piece on a lightly floured work surface and push down using your hands or a rolling pin to create a round, flatbread shape - it should be quite thin as it will become thicker in the pan.
- Once the pans are hot, add the flatbreads and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side until golden all over and cooked through.
- If you don't have two flat pans, cook the flatbreads in one flat pan, one at a time.
Assemble the Flatbreads
- Place the flatbreads on 2 serving plates and brush with some butter.
- Spoon the lamb mixture on top of the flatbreads then drizzle over some mint yoghurt.
Time to Serve
- Chop some mint leaves and sprinkle them over the top of the flatbreads, along with a pinch of black pepper, the pomegranate seeds, pine nuts and chilli flakes. (or your favourite toppings)