Paneer or Tofu & Vegetable Moghlai
Serves 4Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Can be Vegan*
2.5cm / 1 inch piece fresh root ginger grated
4 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
50g / 2oz ground almonds
90 – 120ml / 6-8 tbsp water
30ml / 2tbsp groundnut oil
225g / 8oz paneer or plain tofu* cut into 2.5cm / 1 inch pieces
10 whole cardamom pods
2.5cm / 1 inch stick cinnamon
6 white cloves
15ml / 1tbsp whole coriander seeds
10ml / 2tsp whole cumin seeds
1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
1 green chilli, finely chopped
Salt to taste
300ml / 1/2 pint single cream or soya cream*
100g / 4oz green beans sliced into 2.5cm / 1 inch pieces
1 courgette, sliced
50g / 2oz sultanas
25g / 1oz flaked almonds. toasted
1. Blend the ginger, crushed garlic, ground almods and water together to make a paste.
2. Heat the oil in a frying pan and gently cook the paneer or tofu until golden on both sides. Drain on kithcen towel and set aside.
3. Out the whole spices into the same oil and cook for 2 minutes. Add the onion and chilli and cook unitl golden. Add paste, beans and courgette and cook for a further two minutes.
4. Stir in the cream and paneer of tofu* and soya cream* and simmer for 10 – 15 minutes until the vegetables are cooked. Stir in the sultanas.
5. Serve with mushroom pilau rice, shredded cabbage fried with onions and cumin seeds and garnished with toasted, flaked almonds.