Lemon and Almond Tart With
â€¢ 200g plain white flour
â€¢ 50g ground almonds
â€¢ 150g butter, diced
â€¢ 2 tbsps fresh thyme leaves,
â€¢ 50g icing sugar
â€¢ 1 tbsp cold water
Ingredients for the filling:
â€¢ 6 lemons
â€¢ 3 eggs
â€¢ 200g icing sugar, sieved
â€¢ 150g unsalted butter, melted
â€¢ 130g ground almonds
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180C/Gas4.
2. For the pastry, put the flour, ground almonds and butter in a food
processor, whiz until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add the
thyme and sugar, whiz again and add the water. You may need a touch
more water if the mix is too dry. Mix to a soft-ball consistency, wrap in
cling film and refrigerate for one hour.
3. Grease a 30cm loose-bottomed flan dish.
4. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the pastry as thinly as possible,
roll the pastry up on to your rolling pin and carefully lay it over the
flan dish. Press the pastry snugly into the flan case and trim any
surplus from around the edges. Line with silver foil, making sure that
the pastry edges are well covered and fill with dried beans.
5. Place in the centre of the pre-heated oven and â€˜bake blindâ€™ for 15
minutes. Take out of the oven, leave to rest for a couple of minutes
before removing the silver foil and the beans. Then put the flan case
back in the oven for 5 minutes to dry out the base to an even pale
golden colour. Leave to cool.
1. Zest 3 of the lemons and juice all of them.
2. Whisk the eggs with the icing sugar until pale and fluffy.
3. Mix in gradually the zest of 3 lemons, the melted butter, ground
almonds and juice of 6 lemons.
4. Pour the mixture into the pastry case and bake for 30 minutes until
pale golden and puffy.
5. Leave to cool, and then dust with icing sugar.
6. Serve with Greek style yoghurt and a sprinkling of fresh thyme
All of these recipes are taken from Demuthâ€™s own Green Seasons Cookbook. Which is
available to purchase from www.vegetariancookeryschool.com